Thursday, September 16, 2010

I taste a liquor never brewed

Once again, we have another Emily Dickenson poem. Although some people find her poems to be very creepy and nonsensical, I find them rather interesting and creative. Instead of just flat out saying what she means, she finds clever ways to express her ideas without actually telling the readers. Dickenson uses a variety of literary devices to reach her true meaning, but also leaves room for readers' different interpretations. For example, the first line (and title): "I taste a liquor never brewed." After reading the rest of the poem, a reader can see that she is not talking about an actual liquor. I found that she is expressing her emotions about nature. Dickenson gets "drunk" off the beauty of nature. She uses different types of alcohol and also words like "foxhole", "butterflies" and "sun" to compare the two. I think she is a very skillful in how she portrays her ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment