Wednesday, April 6, 2011

...

"Jimmy was bound to get ahead. He always had some resolves or something like that" (pg 182) I find it ironic that on multiple occasions, various people said that Gatsby had a bright future ahead of him. In the military, he was recognized for his accomplishments. In business, he was able to get ahead and make a handsome living. Although his future looked promising, it was ended. I very much enjoyed the book, but I am still trying to find Fitzgerald's reasoning for Gatsby's death. I think it was to have a final establishment of the theme: the shallowness of the people living the "high life." Even if Gatsby had material things in his life, the only people that showed up to his funeral or even cared about him were Nick, his father, and some random party guest. Daisy, the one person for whom he did everything he did, didn't even show up. I liked the novel, but I wish it could have ended differently. (at least Jordan and Nick could have stayed together!)

No comments:

Post a Comment