Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Chapter III

I can honestly say that I am already confused with this book. The first two chapters of the book were easy to understand, but this chapter was quite hard to follow. The parallel structure of the very first paragraph made me feel like the narrator was just rambling on about the night life of Paris and the woman who kept walking by him.

That is another thing. Who is this woman and why would she randomly sit at Jake's table? I found that part kind of different. He pretty much picked this woman (Georgette) off the street and took her to dinner. I can see her as sort of a flat character, but I will just have to wait until the story progresses to see where she fits in.

I also found it interesting how Jake introduced Georgette as his fiance to his friends when they joined them for coffee. Maybe it was just to cover up that fact that he just met her, or it could have been a joke like Georgette said. That also confused me.

I did like how Jake alludes to the fact that he was in the war. Since he is the narrator and the story is in his point of view, readers haven't really found too much out about his background and characteristics.

Then, the whole dancing club, meeting Brett, and the group Brett was with part held an abundant amount of details. I could tell that there was something going on with Jake and Brett by the way she rejected Cohn's invitation to dance with him. Either they are just old friends or they could even be involved romantically. I'm just going to have to read on and find out.

1 comment:

  1. you're right. he picked her up off the street. she was "walking the street." Get it?

    ReplyDelete