Thursday, June 3, 2010

Final Thoughts

I really don't know what to think of this book. It was interesting at times, but also very boring. I did not like the part where Hemmingway vividly described how the bullfighters killed the bulls with "the sword high between the shoulders" (pg 224). I also didn't like the ending. What happened with Brett and Jake? We don't ever know if they get together or if she goes back to Mike.

I honestly don't get how Jake and Lady Brett are two of Hemmingway's most unforgettable characters. I think after this semester, I will most likely forget most of the things about them. All Jake was was a depressed, at times layed back guy who liked to get drunk to solve his problems. All Brett was was a bold woman who did what and whoever she wanted. She had no feeling for the people who loved her most.

The other characters were interesting. Robert Cohn was a crybaby who shouldn't have been so week. I say, he was a boxing champion! I feel sympathy for Mike. He loved Brett and wanted to be with her, but she lost interest in him and ran off with some nineteen-year-old bullfighter. Bill was amusing. I thought he was more of the logical character and was cool with just about everything.

Over all, this book was okay. It was interesting at times (like in Paris) and then it started to become slow. Would I read this book again? Probably not. I'm not saying it wasn't good, just something I wouldn't consider reading for pleasure.

1 comment:

  1. Many of the bloggers loved the bull-fight scenes the most, but I agree with you. I preferred Paris.

    ReplyDelete