Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Local Color

I am very excited that they are finally in Spain. Jake was describing the landscape, the road, the town, and the food. I find this very interesting because I will be experiencing the same things in 5 days. I am going to be leaving for Spain for seven weeks on Sunday. This is going to be really cool because I can experience the same things Jake, Bill, and Robert experienced when they stopped in the town.

Now since they are in Spain, local color will be used and they will be speaking Spanish and using Spanish words throughout their dialogue. I will be able to understand the phrases they say since they are in Spanish and I speak it. Like when Jake was describing that "every town had a pelota court" (pg 97) I knew that that meant a ball court, like tennis. I think the rest of the novel is going to be even more interesting.

1 comment:

  1. Did Spain live up to the picture Hemingway paints with his imagery?

    ReplyDelete