Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Jake

To me, Jake seems like an entirely different person at this point in the book than when he was at the beginning. We now have a glimpse into his life and his personality. At first, I thought he was a guy who had everything going for him. He had a great career, he had many friends, and he seemed to have money. Although these are nice aspects of life, they are not everything. He was missing a family and company. Then I found out about Brett. She was charming, bold, and did what she want. She was absolutely the foil character of Jake. While she was lively, he was at times quiet and empty. The count even commented on Brett's character: "She is the only lady I have ever known who was as charming when she was drunk as when she was sober" (pg 66). Brett seems like the type of person who people were drawn too.

Although Brett seems like a good enough person, I don't like how she is torturing Jake. She knows that he is hopefully in love with her and she still encourages his affection, yet she is going to get married to another man. Then she says she is leaving as soon as possible and says "I won't see you again" (pg 71) to Jake. I think this will only cause more problems for them and make Jake more miserable.

No comments:

Post a Comment