Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Conflicts

I've never been to war and I don't know what it is like to kill someone, but after O'Brien's reflection about the man he killed, I have a pretty good idea of what it is like. He used such detail and his diction that I was able to imagine the scene in my mind. I can see the fog in the daybreak with the man slowly emerging (pg 126). The details make me feel like I was almost there with Tim and watching him throw the grenade. Then afterward with him still looking down at the man he killed laying "with one leg bent beneath him, his jaw in his throat, one eye shut, the other was a star-shaped hole" (pg 124).

It is obvious that this scene still haunts him. He can't seem to forget what happened and why it happened. It is almost like it was yesterday that he was in the jungle with Kiowa on ambush. O'Brien can still remember all the detail from that day and still see the face of the man he killed.

1 comment: