Monday, August 9, 2010

Internal Conflict

The internal conflict that Tim O'Brien goes through in this chapter is intense. He has no idea what to do now that he has been drafted. He has two options: stay and fight, or leave for Canada. O'Brien kept running both option through his mind: "Run, I'd think. Then I'd think, Impossible. Then a second later I'd think, Run" (pg 42).

While I was reading this chapter, I felt surprised about how much this situation was actually bothering Tim. I didn't really understand how much conflict he felt until he was standing in Elroy Berdahl's boat crying about the fact that he was in a moral freeze. Then he asks the rhetorical question "What would you do?" (pg 54). My response is that I honestly don't know. I understand the difficulty of turning your back on all your family and everything you are, but in that moment, with all those emotions of hatred and distress, I don't know what I would do.

Overall, I feel like he made the right decision. One should not run away from fear, but find the courage to face it.

1 comment: