Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Explication

Although I am about half way thought the novel, I am still trying to understand the meaning and point behind it. Regardless, it is still a great book and I enjoy it, but I just don't get why. Why write this? Why share gruesome experiences and bring up the pain again?

This is a true story: After writing the paragraph above, I left the computer to get something to eat because 1. I was hungry and 2. I didn't know what to write next. When I get back to the computer to start typing again, I dropped my book and it opened up to page 78. There I looked and saw a sentence that I underlined. "Often in a true war story there is not even a point." So there is my answer. There might not always be a point to a story, but that doesn't make the story not worth telling. Maybe the author just felt like writing a book and thought his experiences in the war would be perfect. Who are we to judge what a person wants to write about? Maybe he felt like telling someone other than his friends and family. Maybe something else. I don't know. But what I do know is that there might not be a point to the story, but there is always a point to the book.

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry, you'll get the answer to your original question.

    ReplyDelete