Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Speaking of Courage

Norman Bowker wasn't necessarily a torchered soul, but he did have some issues readjusting to the normal way of life after the war. The story portrayed Norman as someone who had a lot of time on his hands and didn't know what to do with it all. So, he just drove around the lake for four hours a day and try to tell the time from just the light off the lake (pg 144). Nothing he did seemed satisfying and eventually, Norman ended up killing himself.

I understand culture shock; I've been through it. After seven weeks in Spain, coming back to the United States and normal life was not easy. I can only imagine what Norman and other soldiers had to go though after a long war. I wish that Norman would have picked something else than just killing himself. I just wish he would have done something different.

No comments:

Post a Comment