Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Final Thoughts

Overall, I thought this book was really great. I would probably read it again if I ever feel in the mood for a war book. I would also recommend this novel to anyone who has an interest in the lives of soldiers. My mom, for example, was in the Navy. I told her about it and she asked me if she could read it when I am done. I am excited to see what she thinks of it.

I found it very interesting reading about the attitudes of the soldiers and their actions. I did not agree with how they treated the dead, like how they shook the hand of the old man by the pigpen (214). But that was just their way of dealing with death. If they treated dead people like they were still there, death was something that they didn't have to fear or be worried about.

I now look at wars and fighting in a whole new manner. I have a new, deeper respect for people who risk their lives for the well being of this country, especially the ones who don't even want to be there in the first place. I am glad I read this book. It was a great experience.

1 comment: